by Jared Rouleau, Go-To-Market Manager, Rogers Corp.
In today’s fast paced world, getting your designs off the drawing board and into reality is essential. Unfortunately, we’ve all known those great ideas that simply couldn’t get off the block. Getting to that first prototype quickly and being able to see and test how the product will perform are key to market success.
The ability to help a customer design, prototype, and test their designs is an important function of the XRD® Impact Institute. It’s here where we work with our customers to find the right XRD solution for their unique impact protection design. Part of this process involves helping to provide a protective padding prototype which is as close to the final product as possible.
Decision makers don’t want to imagine what a product “would look like;” they demand more finished products they can use. For this, we’ve developed a new line of XRD molded parts call the XRD 810 Series. The XRD 810 Series includes 5 unique tessellation patterns, each with varying functions and features:
- XRD 810 Hex
- XRD 810 Mini Hex
- XRD 810 Cones
- XRD 810 Delta
- XRD 810 Tear Drop
Each pattern offers designers and product developers the ability to easily die cut their unique shape from the 8” x 10” pad (hence the name 810) and quickly incorporate and test their protective padding design. We’ll dedicate our next few blogs to telling you more about the various XRD 810 Series patterns, their features and how you can benefit from using each design. If you have immediate questions or sample needs, please contact us for additional information. XRD 810 Hex The XRD 810 Hex size and thickness (about 7.1 mm) offers good coverage for larger zones requiring impact protection. Yet, the hex pattern still provides good movement and flexibility while being durable and abrasive resistant. The Hex pattern is a popular choice for designers of protective apparel and equipment. The convenient tessellation pattern allows for various protective padding designs for rib, chest, thigh and other areas. For example, our partners at Cliff Keen Athletic have used the XRD Hex design in their popular Xtreme Impact™ Kneepad.
The XRD 810 Hex is easy to work with, simply:
- Use scissors to cut a desired shape from your XRD 810 Hex sample.. For your use, a PDF pattern of the XRD 810 Hex can be downloaded for testing your initial shape ideas before you test them on physical samples.
- Arrange the XRD shapes on your application.
- Apply the XRD shapes using an acrylic or polyurethane adhesive, fusible web adhesive or insert it into a pocket. (Note: We have found that Pellon’s Heavy Duty Wonder Under paper backed fusible web tends to work well when bonding to apparel)
- Test, trial and wear your prototype. Make updates and cut new design ideas as they work for your project.
- If you are satisfied with your XRD Hex shape, you may order this directly from Rogers (we’ll die cut the final part for you) or work with the XRD Team to develop a custom XRD molded part based from your prototype.
The XRD 810 Hex dimensions (length x width x thickness): 10” x 8” x 0.280” (254 mm x 203 mm x 7.1 mm). It is available in two different densities: 12 lb/f³ (192 kg/m³) and 20 lb/f³ (kg/m³) and comes in the XRD Vivid Yellow color. Please contact us for additional PORON formulation requests.